Wednesday 14 August 2013

My First Blog Post

I've always wanted to know what kind of person I could be, and might end up being. Some are sportspeople, who play on every team in school and live for the season to start up again. Some know that they will grow up to be strong, motivated business women who will have full control and respect in their workplace. Others know from a young age that they want to help people, however they do it. Perhaps they will make music and brighten someone's day. Maybe they'll study for years and end up working in a hospital saving lives everyday or work in a lab and discover the cure for cancer. I, on the other hand, struggle to know what kind of person I will be.


I've taken the sports route as most do, and have realised that it's just not for me. I was never very bad at it, just never excelled in it either, Hockey, gaelic football, camogie, basketball, swimming, you name it, I've tried it. I would love it for a short time, becoming obsessed with the idea of making it as a basketball coach or playing hockey for Ireland in the Olympics. I would learn all the big players names, and begin to think that it was my calling. Hey, I even spent my Communion money on a basketball hoop. However, every time the novelty would wear off and I would realise that the early morning workouts and dedication to training and keeping fit wasn't for me. So now I only continue to play hockey, but that's just in school and I do it because it's fun and gives me something to do, but I would never be good enough to play for the top team in my school let alone travel to Rio for it in 2014.



The business path is a no-go since I'd rather not shout at people everyday and have to worry about getting a fashionable suit wardrobe. I feel like I'd have to live up to Rachel from Suits and that pressure is just way too much. She is just too ultra-fabulous with a body that looks too good in suit jackets and pencil skirts. 



As for helping people through medicine, the fact that I'm unable to watch the surgery scenes in Grey's Anatomy about sums up how successful I would be in that field.



And so I've come to blogging. I realise that there are many other career paths I could take, like a pilot or an accountant, but I'd rather not. I get headaches on flights and find accounting boring, yet I still picked it for the Leaving Cert because I'm good with numbers. I first had the idea of being a writer, and of course obsessed over it, when I was 7 years old. I won a competition called Write-A-Book, a city-wide competition to which my whole class from school entered with a personally written story. Mine was compilation of short stories, ranging from how I met my best friend to the day I lost my teddy bear. It was all very exciting. However, like all other things, I eventually forgot my dream of becoming a writer as I started to study English properly in secondary school. Studying poets and citing your sources just wasn't doing it for me, and I still find myself walking into my English class very grumpily on a Tuesday afternoon. But hey, let's give blogging a go, shall we? It doesn't look too difficult. I mean, I can't see any Shakespeare essays or notes on the life of Emily Dickinson anywhere. 


Slán,
Caroline!

No comments:

Post a Comment